Sunday, June 9, 2013

Sunday Brunch 6/9/2013

JOINING ME TODAY FOR SUNDAY BRUNCH IS AUTHOR JC WELLS!
First and foremost, it is a pleasure to have you here.  Welcome to Harper’s Sunday Brunch Spotlight!



So, can you tell us what makes JC Wells tick?  What got you started on the path to becoming an author?

“Where the Wild Things Are,” “I Love You, Mommy,” “The Giving Tree,” and “Corduroy.”  Do you remember these?  Some people do remember some of them, but I can probably recite some of these old books to you.  When I was a little girl, my mom and dad used to read to me every night, and as I got older, I was the one reading to them.  When I got to high school, I started realizing something – I didn’t like writing what I was told to write.  I liked writing what I wanted to write.  And I was obsessed (and still am) with the paranormal.  Ghosts, vampires, werewolves, fairies, mermaids.  I wanted to read anything I could that involved the paranormal, and then, all I wanted to do was write about it.  I went from wanting to be a doctor, to wanting to be an author.  Yeah, I didn’t feel like making money anymore.  LOL.



What are you currently working on?  Would you care to share a snippet?

Currently, I am working on a few things. I am working on the next High Roller book, the next book in the Hells Bells Series, working on an outline of a young adult novel (something different and new as I did not start out in erotica), and a steampunk style short called Guilty Gears which takes place in 2160, after 3 nuclear wars.  Here’s a small snippet of Guilty Gears, unedited:


The most important people in the world now were the Silvers—men and women who carried wealth, status, ran the countries they lived in, and were born with locks of silver on their heads. They were the ones that lived in a world of color and while they fashioned their clothing with the norm of gears and metal, with an extension of design from the Victorian era, they did not have to learn to live in a world of hunger or desperation.

There was one company however, one way of life, that seemed to flourish with the coming of the twenty-second century: Guilty Gears and their Clockwork Angels. What started as a type of bordello, soon grew into a type of “pet” trade. Guilty Gears supplied Silvers and those who could afford the price human pets, men and women birthed and trained to perform sexual activities of the highest expertise. If one wanted to escape from a world of possible crime, he or she only had to sign over their lives to Guilty Gears, but it wasn’t just their lives and bodies they signed over. They signed over the lives of their children, and their children’s’ children, and theirs after that. There was no escaping Guilty Gears, and once you were purchased by a Silver, you belonged to them…forever.

Do you include some of your own personal experiences in your books or do you prefer to use your imagination?
I think it is a little bit of both.  I am definitely not getting as much action as my characters as I am single, but I do sometimes put my own feelings or thoughts into the stories.  As for experiences, not really, I tend to rely mainly on my imagination.

Why Male/Male Erotica?  What made you choose this genre over others?
I actually write both.  I simply started with M/M.  I love writing about the gay community.  I don’t know what it is that appeals to me about two men falling in love and having sex. I would say it runs along those lines of how guys like to watch two women going at it.  I just love two men going at it.

Do you have a specific process or a ritual you go through when sitting down to write?
Nope! I just pick up the computer, open up word, and start writing.  I am however trying a new thing this time around.  Instead of letting my fingers do the typing and leading the story how it wants, with my coming young adult story, I am actually making an outline and thinking in the lines of what young adults may want to read about.  I even go around asking friends what they would like to see or read about.  It’s very helpful.

Where do you find your inspiration for your plots?  Do you have any tricks of the trade you would care to share? 
I watch Supernatural.  There are all kinds of different stories and plot ideas in that show, following along a bigger plot.  Sometimes they give me inspiration.  Other times, I just kinda go with what I feel.

What is the oddest place/situation where an idea for a book has come to you?
Oddest place?  Hmmm.  Probably the toilet . Could it get any more odd than hanging out with your friends at a restaurant, having to go to the bathroom, then being like “eureka!!” HAHA.  It was how I came up with my Hells Bells Series.  And because it was an awkward place to come up with it, I decided it had to be somewhat comedic.

What makes a book stand out and perk your interest?
Strong female characters—which is rare these days, I find.  I like determined women who can stand up for themselves.  Some stories I have read with many characters attracted me to certain females because they were like this.  They came to disappoint me when their book came along in the series and the author made them super submissive, thinking they could only survive if they please the man.  I know it’s hard sometimes to write these types of women, but I prefer them.  I also love a good love story.  Make it interesting, not formulaic.

We all have our favorite authors.  Can you share some of yours and tell us why you like them?
I really like JR Ward.  She creates characters that are three-dimensional.  They have something that makes them who they are, flaws.  The females are the same.  I also like Christine Feehan, even though her stories are somewhat repetitive in the formulaic sense.  I pretty much like most vampire authors. I haven’t come across one I didn’t like.  Well, except P.C. Cast.  I think that’s her name.  I couldn’t read her stuff.  I didn’t find it catching.

We all have a pet peeve, care to share yours?
Cliques, people who think they are better than others, and people who make judgments of those who they don’t know.  It is kind of like the “judging a book by its cover.”  You don’t know someone, who they truly are, just by a few words or a glance.  And people who chew with their mouths open.  That’s gross.

When you’re not writing, what are the things you enjoy doing to relax?
I love watching TV and doing different types of art.  Painting is really relaxing to me and I have just bought a sewing machine so I can’t wait to learn how to sew properly.  I also hang out with my cat who is too much to handle sometimes.  He is always wanting to play, so I humor him.  HAHA

Thank you so much for joining me here today, JC.  I know my followers will enjoy this spotlight as much as I have conducting it.  Good luck on all your future endeavors.

Places Where You Can Find JC

Facebook
Facebook Author Page
Goodreads
Amazon Author Page
AuthorsdB
Website
Blog
Cafe Press
The Romance Reviews
Story FindsX
Twitter @authorJCWells

JC's Latest Release


Powerful, calculating, and protective, battle trainer Sorth delights in abandon of the carnal kind with as many bodies possible hoping to fill the growing void inside of him.
Mikkel, La’el’s childhood best friend and newest recruit of the ‘battle’ wolves only joined to aid his friend and become his protector. Without warning, his sole focus soon shifts when he finds himself between two hard bodies.
As passion soars and promises are made, Mikkel hopes the connection to the powerful Sorth will be everlasting, but war breaks out threatening to ruin everything the Matik Masters have built. Will their bond remain unbreakable or will everyone lose everything?

Purchase Links for Sorth

Amazon
Kobo
Barnes & Noble
All Romance eBooks
iTunes



 

 

1 comment:

  1. Great interview. Thanks for the invitation.
    Mary Adair

    ReplyDelete